Sunday, January 30, 2011

Preparing for the Mock Interview





 Company Info

For today's class we were asked to research a prospective job that we are interested in and gather as much background information on the organization as possible.

For my research I chose Williamsburg Charter High School. My future goal is to become a New York state certified teacher and move to becoming a college professor. I believe that working in a charter school will help me transition to teaching at the college level in the future

The Williamsburgs charter High School opened in July 2004. WCHS is a performance based school which places high standards on their students and staff. Charter schools run smaller classes which allow the teacher to provide their students with an individualized experience.

Position Info

Global Studies I & II- Global Studies is based on the idea that the study of history is more than just days, years, and people.

Job Interview Tips


http://www.bls.gov/oco/oco20045.htm

The first tip provided at this website is one of the most important and overlooked tip for most interviewers, which is "Learn about the organization." I know from personal experience I rarely did any research on an organization before interviewing. I solely depended on my general knowledge  of the job I was applying for, which was generally vague because of the lack of research.

http://www.best-job-interview.com/interview-checklist.html

This website provides a general outline of the dos and don'ts of interviewing. I feel this would serve as a good check list to look over before heading out on your interview.

http://www.quintcareers.com/interview_question_database/interview_questions_1.html

This website provides sample question of typical interview question most interviewer ask and provides sample answers. The website points out that the only way to prepare for an interview is by doing research on the company and preparing yourself to answer questions on how you would be a good fit for that organization.


http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_400/434_dressing-for-a-job-interview.html

I find this website to be more of a marketing tool for high fashion, but provides tasteful advice in setting a first impression.  

http://www.education.com/reference/article/job-interviews-business-casual-wear/

This website focuses on the different attire for the different career fields. The website provides several examples in tailoring your attire according to the organization, this very useful advice.

http://www.best-job-interview.com/job-interview-clothes.html 

This site is more of a check list to help ensures good first impression at your job interview. The site provides a brief outlines on how to prepare your self prior to the interview.


Reaction:
 After completing my research I realized how vital and necessary job research is. While reading the several websites, I realized how careless I have been in the past about the whole job interviewing process. I spent most of the time asking questions that I thought the interviewer wanted to hear rather then question that would help me decide if the position suited me in what I was looking for. As for the topic of dressing up, the website reinforced some of the things I already new and provided me with a few things that I used to overlook. I must admit there were times where my shoes where not polished or maybe even scuffed. My research reminded me of how the little things can set you apart from the group. At the end of the day, interviewing is about making a statement "I'm the Best forget the Rest!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment